Ghost buttons on taskbar, Batsh

Reference Librarian ref at esper.com
Mon Sep 27 15:11:22 EDT 1999

Does anyone know what causes a blank button to remain on the Windows
taskbar after an application is closed, and how I might make this stop
happening?

I use a freeware program called Batsh to display the library's rules to
Internet users when they open Netscape. This forces them to click a
button accepting our policy before they can access the browser. I use
the "show hide" command in the Batsh script to hide the Batsh icon, but
that has not solved the problem. (I also tried an EXIT command after the
netscape.exe call.) When Batsh launches the browser, it creates a
taskbar button labelled NETSCAPE.BSH in addition to the button for the
browser. When the browser is closed, the Batsh button remains, the label
on the button blanks out, and clicking on the button clears it off the
taskbar.

It's not amusing to clear ten ghost buttons off the taskbars of multiple
PCs several times a day. Thanks for any suggestions.

Melissa Brenneman
Lawson McGhee Library
Knoxville, TN

ref at esper.com