[WEB4LIB] Re: metadata for site searches

Thomas Edelblute thomas at anaheim.lib.ca.us
Fri Sep 24 17:33:37 EDT 1999

I have to disagree.  Free text searching yields too many false drops, often over
50%.  I am a firm believer in using a controlled vocabulary with adequate
cross-references.  I would recommend a full authority file to keep track of the
defenitions, cross-references and variant spellings encountered (i.e. sulfur,
sulphur: soybeans, soyabeans, Glycine Max L.).  Variant spellings add to the
problem of finding what you want because your full text might have the search
term on way whereas the you are searching for it with a different spelling.  By
having a browsable index you reduce this problem.

--
Thomas Edelblute
Anaheim Public Library