Proxy Server to limit Internet access

jvisser jvisser at nypl.org
Mon Sep 13 15:13:39 EDT 1999

     We have a problem that I'm sure many other libraries are experiencing
     or will be experiencing. At New York Public Library, we're setting up
     PCs in our branch libraries for accessing the catalog, licensed
     databases, and certain other local library websites.  We only want
     patrons to access a certain group of predetermined websites, and have
     set up other PCs for full Internet access. Needless to say, we're
     having problems keeping some of our patrons from accessing other
     websites on the limited use PCs (we call them LEO Express).  We've
     tried using WinSelect, but with limited success.  We also considered
     setting up a bogus proxy server on each PC, but updating this list
     would be too huge an undertaking, as we're talking about several
     hundred PCs located in more than 80 different branches. Now we're
     thinking about routing all the PCs through a centrally located Proxy
     Server which would only allow access to a select list of websites.
     Has anybody tried this?  If so, what kind of problems have you
     encountered?  Can anyone suggest a particular proxy server package?
     Any thoughts you might have are appreciated.

     Thanks in advance,

     Mike Visser