[WEB4LIB] Sites with LOT of content.

Jorge Biquez jbiquez at icsmx.com
Thu Sep 9 13:26:20 EDT 1999

Thanks a lot to all of you who answered.

I'll try to be more specific.
The speech will be for public in general but will be more technical people
than others (I'm a technical person) so I need to explain in general the
following:

- The general philosophy of how those BIG and large sites work.
- Technology used (why they are using that of course) on the back end.
- Special software they use to update the information (creating dynamic
pages, using databases, etc). Also samples of these software.
- The pros and cons of building their "own" solution on the point above.
- A simple sample of the structure of a site like this.

This are the points to cover on the speech.
Let me tell you that this is for a University outside USA. They are
inviting me because they have a project that will process LOT of
information daily and some information will have to be updated on the
minute. Like some of you mentioned as in a newspaper. Good samples could be
New York Times, CNN, etc. Mainly the site will process information (an
electronic magazine) it is not a site that will sell things there.

I understand that the organization of the different departments that will
handle information is very important but here the main point is to explain
the organization and administration of the technical resources.

The people who invited is technical also so no problem on this. They have
taken a look at some software to develop for the web mainly but they are
not sure how to handle all this.

Any information is really appreciatte.

Matt. ABout the consulting. I'll write you offline in a few minutes. Thanks.

Thanks in advance.

JBiquez