Laptop Computers in the Library

Mark McCallon mccallonm at nicanor.acu.edu
Wed Sep 8 18:49:03 EDT 1999

Our medium-sized university library has been offered six laptops for use by
students in the library.  We have ethernet connections in some of our study
carrels and will allow students to check them out for use inside the
library, and not to leave the building.  It is our hope that this will
alleviate the overcrowding in our general computer lab.  Do any other
university libraries have this type of program?  If so, I am interested in
suggestions to the following questions:

1.  How do you secure the laptops to keep them from leaving the building?
Tattle strips? Other security devices?

2.  Do you have any assessment measures for monitoring the satisfaction of
users with the service?  If so, would you be willing to share these?

3.  What are your students using the laptops for most? Word Processing?
Library Applications?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark McCallon