job description for electronic services marketing position

Mark Morse mpmorse at ci.eau-claire.wi.us
Wed Sep 8 16:38:22 EDT 1999

The L.E. Phillips Memorial Public Library in Eau Claire, WI wishes to
develop a job description for a new full time position responsible for
the development and marketing of the library's electronic services. We
would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who has some experience
or ideas relating to job descriptions that cover these responsibilities.

Our current thinking is that the incumbent's responsibility in this
position would be to develop interesting and fun ideas for ways in which
the library's web page could be enhanced to increase its usefulness and
attractiveness to customers. In addition, the person in this position
might be responsible for making presentations about the electronic
services to groups out in the community.

The incumbent might further be asked to regularly pull together various
media relating to a particular subject (web page captures, live
Internet, live interactive distance learning sessions, videocassettes,
audiocassettes, books or magazines) for use in a small open theater on
the main floor of the lobby of the library. This could be high brow
subjects (e.g., the museums of Versailles) or more modest  subjects
(e.g. the history of Harley Davidsons).

We are convinced of the importance to our customers, and to the long
term future of the public library as an institution, of developing and
marketing electronic services that are (1) delivered to people where
they live and (2) are provided in an enhanced and entertaining way for
customers who come into the library building.

We would surely appreciate any help you can provide with developoing a
job description.

Sincerely,

Mark Morse
Library Director