[WEB4LIB] Re: "Gutting America's Local Public Libraries"

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Sep 7 14:52:16 EDT 1999

At 06:57 AM 9/7/99 -0700, Andrew Mutch wrote:
>The point that Walt made rather persuasively is that the funding
>required to create the ELL would be quite substantial and would be at
>the expense of many library services.

I don't think this is necessarily the case at all.  A great many new
services are started by a small group of interested
individuals/libraries.  Even OCLC started from a subset of Ohio academic
libraries.  And, of course, so did the web start with just a few interested
parties, followed by a few interested libraries, and so forth.  Waterford
Township Public was probably not one of the first libraries on the web, nor
should it have been.  Others who had the time, money, staffing, and
interest invested in the web.  Others who have begun to participate since
that time have benefited from that.

I don't believe anyone is considering some sort of "mandatory taxation" on
all libraries and forcing them to participate in the great catalog in the
sky.  If a small group tries it and it works, great.  If not, oh well.  We
were one of the early adopters of Ariel document delivery, and for a year
or so we got almost no documents that way, and at times I wondered whether
the investment was worth it.  Finally, over a number of years, more and
more libraries have begun to use Ariel and now most of our documents are
delivered that way. The same just might be true of the great catalog in the
sky.  Or not.  But there is no reason that those of us who are dubious
should try to convince the others not to try.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165