[WEB4LIB] Advice for librarians instituting public access to the 'net

miked at tsaw03.wplwloo.lib.ia.us miked at tsaw03.wplwloo.lib.ia.us
Sat Sep 4 18:32:57 EDT 1999

Sue--

The recipe for a secure public Internet station is:

1	Secure the BIOS with a password
2	Don't allow floppy boots
3	Use Win9x
4	Fortres 101 v4
5	Navigator 4.08 Standalone
6	IKiosk with the wsauto file for Navigator

Makes for very boring, yet stable machines.  Pretty cheap, too.

Of course, a sophisticated network administrator can do great things with
WinNT and policies, but this is cheap and can be managed by almost anyone
while they study for the MCSE.

--mike