[WEB4LIB] Re: Search Engines: Buy, Rent, Write?

Tara Calishain calumet at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 3 16:12:01 EDT 1999

At 12:50 PM 9/3/99 -0700, jay wrote:
>John:
>There are a couple of  ways to go (and these are by no means the entirety of
>your options): I use Cold Fusion (which is a web development application). It
>runs on Windows Nt, and it comes with a search tool called Vertiy (its a kinda
>stripped down version of the full-blown Verity Search tool www.verity.com).
>That seems to do a satisfactory job for us.
>I believe Excite has a search engine (it used to be free), but now charges for
>it www.excite.com. Also check out htdig at http://www.htdig.org. It's free and
>it may be all you need.

There are also several services that offer free search engines for Web sites.
There's an article on these services at:

http://www.studiob.com/resources/articles/articles/searchanddeplyfull.asp

(I think I can also get a pointer to the article in HTML if there's any
interest.)

One search engine that's not mentioned there is atomz.com , at
http://www.atomz.com . They announced yesterday that they've added support
for .pdf searches in addition to HTML searches, which makes it handy when
you've got e-pubs online.

Tara

Tara