Adobe GoLive, javascript and HTML bloat?

Prentiss Riddle riddle at is.rice.edu
Fri Sep 3 11:44:20 EDT 1999

Rice's Public Affairs division is in the midst of a redesign of our web
site.  (Yes, it's hard to see my baby grow up and move away, but I'm
reconciling myself to the inevitable.  After years of our begging
Public Affairs to pay some attention to the web, we can hardly complain
now that they're doing so. :-) )

Aside from graphic improvements, one feature they're hot to add for
some reason is javascript-based mouseovers.  The tool they've chosen to
use is Adobe GoLive.  The result is extremely bloated HTML: where our
current top page is 11K, their proposed page is 63K (graphics aside).
This contributes to unacceptably long download times for dialup users.

I know just a little javascript (I've tended to avoid it on the KISS
principle) and nothing about Adobe GoLive.  I'm wondering whether the
bloat is the inevitable consequence of the features they want
(mouseovers that trigger popup menus of sub-links) or could be avoided
by tighter javascript code and/or giving up GoLive.  Anybody have any
idea?

By the way, if you want to see where the new design is headed, it's up
for public comment at the location:

        http://www.rice.edu/newhome/

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
-- Webmaster, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle