[WEB4LIB] Re: Blocking free mail services

Sue Kamm suekamm at class.org
Thu Sep 2 12:07:30 EDT 1999

When we (Inglewood, CA PL) began offering public access to the net, the
free email services had not been invented.  We were concerned about
liability to the library about messages sent from our email account.

Now, we tell people they may have 30 minutes on our computer.  What they
do in that 30 minutes is their business.

I strongly recommend that libraries with web-based catalogs and
subscription databases (Gale, UMI, Wilson) reserve at least one
workstation for use of the catalog and databases only.  Andrew Mutch has
excellent instructions on how to "lock in" access to designated sites so
someone can't use the catalog to surf elsewhere on the net.

Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at class.org
"I really love baseball.  The guys and the game.  And I love the
challenge of describing things.  The only thing I hate--and I know you
have to be realistic and pay the bills in this life--is the loneliness of
the road."
--Vin Scully