Blocking free mail services

Dale Vidmar Vidmar at sou.edu
Wed Sep 1 18:36:05 EDT 1999

>At 08:11 AM 8/31/99 -0700, Richard.Griffin at orst.edu wrote:
>We want to be able to block access to Hotmail and other free
> mail services on our public PCs and we already have a proxy
> server loaded for other purposes.  Does anyone know of any
> software that would allow us to block mail without using a proxy
> server?

As a librarian who finds himself on the road at times, I find that libraries that do not try to restrict use of the Internet terminals to "only research" quite useful. In the 21st century, more and more email will become "real research." In truth, I am often answering email that are reference questions concerning students with a research question or a question about how to access materials.

While I understand that terminals are limited and that some people abuse email privileges, I am beginning to feel that libraries that restrict access to email are doing a disservice to their patrons. I also believe that such restrictions are hurting public relations because many of the individuals who enter the building to look at email are often individuals who support libraries in their communities. I have on several occasions been regarded fellow librarians as a "second class citizen" for trying to access my email account while travelling. Even though I have a laptop that I usually use, occassionally it really is more convenient and even comforting to visit a local library for such information behavior.

This thought is not meant to create a range war about email access. It is more of a plea to libraries to reconsider restrictive email policies for the benefit of everyone.

Dale

Dale Vidmar
Electronic Resources and Library Instruction Coordinator/
Education and Communications Librarian
Southern Oregon University Library
541-552-6842
vidmar at sou.edu

"Anything that I ever did that was ultimately worthwhile,
initially scared me to death."
- Betty Bender