Commentary posted on 'Building Earth's Largest Library' (fwd)

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 1 10:33:02 EDT 1999

Walt Crawford announced a commentary that he wrote regarding Steve
Coffman's ideas on a another list, and he has kindly consented to
announcing it here as well.
Roy

Preferred route: go to
 http://home.att.net/~walt.crawford
scroll or jump down to
 Web Extras: Libraries, Media, and the Future
click through to that subsite; the first link is to the
commentary.

If you're in a hurry, go to
 http://home.att.net/~wcc.libmedx
(the subsite index page). I'd like to know how many people
have visited, so I'm avoiding giving out the direct link
to the paper: one extra click on a pure-text index page
shouldn't be too cumbersome.

The commentary is long, badly organized, and probably
erroneous in some aspects. Its general tenor can probably
be gauged by the title:
-------------------
   "Gutting America's Local Libraries: Informal Comments
    on 'Building Earth's Largest Libraries'"
It's fair to say that, given Mike Dahn's commentary, I'm now
an Enemy of the Crusade. So be it.

Cheers and salutations,
Walt Crawford
wcc at notes.rlg.org