Screen Resolution Settings

spober at manhattan.edu spober at manhattan.edu
Mon Sep 6 07:48:13 EDT 1999

I've been wondering about using Cascading Style Sheets, and viewing your
test page gives me very convincing reasons NOT to.  The design is quite
nice in Netscape 4.6 but in 3.04 it's, well, legible but nothing more.
True, it's not scrambled or weird in 3.04, but you lose so much of the
quality it's amazing - no fonting sizes,  graphic and the initial table
is a horizontally displayed assortment of links.  Looking at it in IE
v.3 you keep the fonts and colors but somehow I can't load the graphic
and the first table is displayed as in Netscape 3.

I can't speak for the Internet world as a whole, but at my institution,
I see migration to new software in general, including upgrading browsers
is a very slow process. I have to assume that there are still version 3
browser users out there. (Actually, it's moer than just an assumption
since I still get questions on how to set up preferences for v.3
browsers from our faculty.)

Anyway, speaking of compatibility issues, I have found that an awful lot
of people don't ever look at the display options and are running their
expensive top of the line Pentium systems at 256 colors.  I don't really
design for 256 colors, though I do often check my pages in that mode
just to be sure everything is readable.

Stacy Pober, Information Alchemist
Manhattan College Libraries
spober at manhattan.edu