[WEB4LIB] Re: Screen Resolution Settings

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Sun Sep 5 20:08:24 EDT 1999

<BOX type=SOAP>The landscape of the web is a constantly in flux, like sand
dunes on a wind blown desert. I hate to keep harping on this, but the
future will bring more and more smaller screen resolution sizes in addition
to higher desktop PC screen resolution sizes.  WebTV users is expected to
grow to the millions in the next few years (at least if all goes well with
the roll-out of new products this Fall and predicted lowering of prices by
next year), plus greater numbers of Palm Pilots, Internet ready phones, and
other devices not yet on the market, etc, etc, etc.  In addition, users may
not have their browser open to full screen (on small screens it is more
likely they will, but on larger screens the chances increases that they
will won't), I often have my browser window not fully open so that I can
have my email up, or another browser window, or J++ or HTML Assistant, etc
and I know of others that do the same.  The web was designed to be
browser/platform/screen-size independent, to allow users to set their own
preferences, etc, but true to human nature we want to standardize,
categorize, linearize, organize and so we keep trying to force one
"standard" after another. As Dowling has shown, coding that works on
virtually any screen-size _can_ be done.  We just have to give up on the
idea of WYSIWYG: what you see may be what You get, but not necessarily what
Anyone Else will get.  Whether consciously or subconsciously, we tend to
design for ourselves, and not for the audience.  (I know I keep doing
that!)</BOX>

TTFN,
David

Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
javascript list administrator <www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/>
HTML Live Examples webmaster <www.mountaindragon.com/html/>
Personal Page <www.mountaindragon.com/merchant/>