[WEB4LIB] Re: LONG list of URLs in Netscape Proxy

Keetra C. Schultz schultz at AXP.WINNEFOX.ORG
Tue Sep 28 16:50:32 EDT 1999

Thank you to all who contributed suggestions that helped me come up with a
solution to my problem!!!

I am not 100% sure, but I think that the problem might have been a hidden
control character somewhere within my proxy list.

I tried removing all of the extra spaces in my proxy listing so that my
prefs.js file read "url1.com,url2.com,url3.com" etc... as opposed to
"url1.com, url2.com, url3.com" etc... but I still received the error message
upon Netscape startup.

So, I attempted to isolate the problem area of the file by inserting only a
little of the file at a time, and was able to enter quite a bit of the file
without problem.  However, I did eventually run across an area that, when
copied into the proxy settings, produced the same error that I messaged
about earlier.

So, I opened the file that held the proxy list in a plain-text editor that
didn't wrap my lines, and re-saved it.  Then copied it into the proxy
settings, and guess what!  It worked!!

Anyway, I have now changed the prefs.js file to be read only, so the copy of
the file which is working correctly now will stay that way!

Thanks again to all of you for all of your help!  :)

~Keetra