[WEB4LIB] Re: Norton Ghost, CSS icky under IE

Bob Jones bjones at unf.edu
Sat Sep 25 16:59:42 EDT 1999

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Karen G. Schneider wrote:

> Kyle mentioned Norton Ghost.  Let me get specific: anyone out there now
> using it to restore PCs?  How about success with similar products?  We're
> planning to go this route with our 17 public PCs.  (It would seem to me that
> having PCs of the same type/make/model/config would be an asset, too...)
>
> Regarding CSS, what version of IE?  What version of HTML?  What's not

At our library we partition the hard disk on our public workstations and
put the clean working Ghost image of that workstation in the new
partition. Whenever the machine is rebooted, Ghost runs and copies the
good image to the C: drive.  We also have some sound effects (beeps) to
indicate a machine is being rebooted.  This, combined with the 3-4 minutes
it takes to ghost restore the machine, has made our users reluctant to
reboot the machines for purposes of hacking.  Our own VB screen saver on
these machines also intentionally reboots every machine after every 5
hours idle time, so we always open in the morning with "fresh" images on
each machine.  This scheme ensures that the correct image is loaded on the
workstation and there is no network bandwidth issue since we don't pull
the image from the server.

Bob Jones                                    mailto:bjones at unf.edu
Head, Public Services Division and Systems Coordinator
University of North Florida Library          http://www.unf.edu/library/
P.O. Box 17605                               (904) 620-2552 (SC 861-2552)
Jacksonville, FL  32245-7605                 FAX: (904) 620-2719
                                             ARIEL: 139.62.208.88