Web log analysis

George Porter george at library.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 27 15:51:46 EDT 1999

I've gotten a couple of follow-up questions about web log analysis following
yesterday's post.  We are logging in W3C Extended format, using via
Microsoft's IIS as the web server in an NT environment.  We're using wusage
<http://www.boutell.com/wusage> to analyze the logs.  The CLSweb statistics
are <http://library.caltech.edu/statistics/>.  As you'll see in a note on
that page, we changed the way we approached statistics logging  when we
realized  that we weren't recording the data we needed to make informed
decisions about the evolution of the website.

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA  91125
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681