[WEB4LIB] Re: Collecting Stats.

Dale Askey daskey at library.utah.edu
Tue Oct 26 15:43:20 EDT 1999

Ed-

While I agree with James's comments about the inaccuracy of web
log analysis,  I think you're on the right track moving from hits to
users. The main thing to keep in mind is that these stats are only
useful relative to themselves, in other words, to track an increase or
decrease in traffic. Having had extensive experience with
WebTrends, I know it is possible to configure the software--using
filters--to relatively accurately reflect how many actual users are
visiting a site. One just needs to root out the spiders and robots and
focus on living, breathing users.

The main advantage to WebTrends is its ability to report data from
numerous other categories other than raw traffic data such as user
sessions and page hits. I was particularly fond of being able to know
what browser our visitors were using since this heavily influences
design considerations.

Best,
Dale
______