Netscape printing problem

Kevin Justie kjustie at nslsilus.org
Thu Oct 21 17:48:17 EDT 1999

Any suggestions on why I might be getting Netscape printouts that have
normal-size graphics but microscopic text -- each full line of text is
reduced to about 2 pixels by 1/8"?  The computer is a three-year old OEM
model received through the state library (i.e. no tech support), and the
printer is an old HP Thinkjet (both will be upgraded next year, but at this
point that's what we have to work with).

If I share this printer and then print to it from another PC running the
same version of Netscape (4.05), the printouts are fine. If I print from
this problem PC to a shared Thinkjet on another PC, the text is still
microscopic.  Given this evidence, the problem would appear to be the PC,
however Explorer printouts on this PC/printer combination have normal size
text.  On the other hand, printouts from WordPad or NotePad are about half
size, though still legible.  Finally, the test page printed via the
printer's Properties window is OK -- normal size text.

This will be a public Internet PC, and I want to keep it as identical to our
existing Internet PCs, which use Netscape.  It's in a different location,
though, so it needs its own printer rather than sharing the existing PCs'
LaserJet.

Thanks!

Kevin Justie
Ass't. Director, Head of Technical and Automated Services
Morton Grove Public Library
Morton Grove, IL
(847) 965-4220
kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
http://www.webrary.org
Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
official Library policy.