[WEB4LIB] Re: The OPAC as Portal - Not!

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Oct 21 14:45:04 EDT 1999

At 02:11 PM 10/21/99 -0400, Eric Hellman wrote:
> >But.....why not work with Amazon (or whoever) and have them put up your
> >library's banner if the browser is coming from your campus ip number
> >range?  They'd never show the caltech library banner to anyone else, so you
> >wouldn't get flooded with people you don't serve.
> >
> >dan
> >

>Dan Lester and George Porter are right that there are bad ways to do it,
>but they assume too much about possible implementations of linking from
>Amazon et al. to Libraries.

I don't think I understand the comment.  I'm not assuming anything about
what might or might not, could or could not, be done with Amazon or
others.  I'm simply suggesting one way in which working with them might be
a good thing.  Or, it might not.  Or, there might be a better
way.   However, I'm not ready to automatically dump the idea of working
with them "just because".

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165