[WEB4LIB] Beware of pages changing your homepage. . .

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Thu Oct 21 12:35:30 EDT 1999

> This is the first time I've even heard of the setHomePage javascript
> function. Has anyone else ran into this problem, and can it be defeated?

Well, this is a problem only from your point of view. The author of the site
has set this up to make the user's life easier in setting their homepage.
I'm sure the author did not consider that someone would use this to change
the homepage on a computer that wasn't theirs.

As for "fixing" the "problem" you would need to lock down the set homepage
option by write-protecting the prefs.js file. The link on the page would
still work but when you closed Netscape the change would not be kept.
However, this will also lock down many other options that you want not want
locked down.

Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org :: http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
The WWW Library Directory is @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
Buy books, music or videos online? http://www.acses.com/?partner=1307

Child: Do not try to bend the spoon, that is impossible.
       Just realize the truth.
Neo:   What is the truth?
Child: There is no spoon.	-- The Matrix

Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.