FileMaker Pro (Was Indexing local Newspapers)

Tony New libtwn at rowlett.lib.tx.us
Thu Oct 21 11:22:09 EDT 1999

On 20 Oct 99, at 17:45, Linda Woods Hyman wrote:

> Have you explored filesize limitations using FileMaker Pro? We had a
> database that consistently crashed once it reached a certain size. It was
> on a previous version of FM Pro.

According to the website and the tech people I talked to at
FileMaker, with versions 4x up they've fixed this problem.  The max
size of a database created using 4x product is around 2gig.  I
probably shouldn't say this but... if the index of our newspaper is
bigger than a half a gig I'll be shocked and eat the shrink wrap that
the program comes in.  <grin>  So I think we'll be fine.

LICENSING ALERT!!!!!

I just checked pricing of the current version (ver 5.0) and it is
$249.00 list for the standard version which includes a restriction of
allowing only 10 hits, based on IP numbers.  Basically within any
given 12 hour period, the program limits to the first 10 IP numbers
to access the published database.  The unlimited number of hits
version, which isn't out yet, is $999.00 list.  We can't afford it at
that price.

The old version, 4.1 does not have this hit restriction and provides
unlimited hits and is adequate for our needs.  I checked with their
Tech Serv people and you can download the latest 4x version
which is 4.1.3 from their website after you've registered your
purchased program.

If you have been following this discussion and been toying with the
idea of purchasing this product, and cost is a factor, I would
suggest you do as I have and purchase the older version now.

CDWG has a number of the 4.1 version still available.  (not
affliated, just the lowet price of the three places I checked for
quotes)  The government/educatiohn price quoted to me  was
$107.00

1-800-586-4239 is their toll free no.

Thanks again for everyone's help!