[WEB4LIB] re: missing google feature

Bill Feidt wfeidt at nal.usda.gov
Thu Oct 21 09:31:12 EDT 1999

Tomaiuolo, Nicholas (Library) wrote:

>I thought the google link information was invaluable, and one of the
primary
>features of that engine.  It was not only interesting, but served as a
>possible evaluation point for searchers.  Without it what is google's
>prominent unique feature??

Google uses "links to" a given site as a ranking factor for that site.
This often results in rank output that is more useable than with other
search
engines. In Google's own words,

 "PageRank capitalizes on the uniquely democratic characteristic of the
 web by using its vast link structure as an organizational tool. In
 essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by
 page A, for page B. Google assesses a page's importance by the votes it
 receives. But Google looks at more than sheer volume of votes, or links;
 it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that
 are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other
 pages "important.""

See:

  http://www.google.com/why_use.html

for a more detailed explanation.