trademarks

JQ Johnson jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Oct 20 09:23:07 EDT 1999

Nick Arnett writes:
> Trademarks are only infringed if they are used in a way that is likely to
> cause confusion, so such cases are quite unlikely and narrow in their
> implications.

Would that this were all.  Unfortunately, there's also a doctrine of
"dilution" -- basically, if my use of your trademark reduces the value of
your mark, then you may have grounds for suit in some cases even when there
is no potential for confusion.

JQ Johnson                      office: 115F Knight Library
Academic Education Coordinator  email: jqj at darkwing.uoregon.edu
1299 University of Oregon       phone: 1-541-346-1746  -3485 fax
Eugene, OR  97403-1299          http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~jqj/