NT lockdown

Jeanne Heicher nppublib at pa.net
Fri Oct 15 14:27:30 EDT 1999

Libby, and all,

There seem to be two separate ways of protecting public workstations:
	1- Lockdown, preventing anyone from doing anything but
	   certain selected activities on the computer
	2- Protection of the drive, while allowing users the ability
	   to do whatever they wnt on the computer

We always took the first tack, and used Fortres to keep people out of
everything but the Internet. We wanted people to be able to use
Wordpad, and Word, etc. but the initial setup of the workstation was
too daunting for any of us.

Enter Deep Freeze software from Hypertec (in beta as I write). This is
an example of the second type of security. They are working, I
understand, on an NT version, as well, so keep your ears open for
that. I am beta testing Deep Freeze on our new public computers, and I
now smile when I watch the kids change screensavers, explore the hard
drive for "stuff," and change anything that can be changed on a
computer. All I need to do is to  reboot the computer, and it comes
right back up the way I set it in the first place. This allows people
to cut and paste from the Internet to Wordpad, and print only what
they need. Adults and kids can have full use of the computers to learn
how to use them, as well. Hypertec says it even acts as a virus
protection, as any virus introduced while the software is activated
will be erased as a part of the next reboot. The software should be
available for purchase SOON, as the beta version expires on Nov. 31,
and will cost about $25 per computer to buy. A really great bargain,
which is working out very well for us!!!!!!!
		Jeanne Heicher

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Newport Public Library                  Hours: