Software, etc. for Access to databases

Rosemary Ross rross at cgcc.cc.or.us
Thu Oct 14 14:19:41 EDT 1999

We are a small rural community college library ... with 1 computer & network guy for the campus ... he sets up all the library pcs, CDs, access, etc.  I am the only librarian. Currently our licensed databases and CD-ROMs can be accessed only in the library.  We want to change this so students can access these resources from home via Internet.  We are barely at square one on this.

1.  We want to upgrade so our students can access from home the licensed databases we subscribe to.  What software, server, etc.  do you use that allows students using Internet at home to use their library barcode to access a vendor's database that looks to see that the request is coming from our college's IP address?   Are there methods other than having the student use his barcode for a password?  What is needed to do this?  What software do you use for this?  What are some good resources to refer our computer guy to
on how to do this?

2.  What software, server, etc. is needed to allow students from home using Internet to access the CD-ROMs that are on a server on the campus network, besides a firewall to protect the campus network?  I assume the students would have to use their library barcode as a password to gain access .. or what other methods are there?   What are some good resources to refer our computer guy to on how to do this?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Rosemary Ross                                                     541-298-3116
College Librarian                                                    541-298-3120 fax
Columbia Gorge Community College                      rross at cgcc.cc.or.us
Library
400 East Scenic Drive
The Dalles OR 97058