[WEB4LIB] RE: multi language support

Kevin W. Bishop bishopk at rpi.edu
Fri Oct 8 14:51:56 EDT 1999

Are we talking about *translating* web pages or viewing other languages in
their native character sets?

Here's a summary of responses I received back in "Tue, 11 Aug 1998", to a
query I posted about applications that would render (not translate) Chinese
(3, e.g. Mandarin & Cantonese), Japanese (2) and Korean (1) character sets.

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9808/0064.html

We chose Unionway's AsianSuite 97 and it proved to be so popular that the
reference librarians recently requested that we uninstall it from reference
stations and move it to our computer lab.  Our large Asian student
population not only could read newspapers from home but evidently they
loved the ability to email their families in their native languages as well.

Fast foward:

I'm presently searching for something that will simply render (not
translate, and preferably not allow input) CJK character sets and, in
addition, Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, and perhaps others.

I found something.  But does anyone have any experience with "The Tango
Multilingual Browser?"  Alis claims it'll read approx. 19 different
languages, including all those listed above.

http://www.alis.com/internet_products/browser/browser2.html

Any experience or hearsay on this product would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.  And best of luck to those beginning to tackle the
issue.

Muchas gracias.  Merci beaucoup.

-kb

Kevin W. Bishop
Campus-Wide Information System Coordinator
Libraries and Information Services
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
<bishopk at rpi.edu> | <http://www.rpi.edu/rpinfo/>