[WEB4LIB] Please help SLJ: Milestones in Library

Sue Kamm suekamm at class.org
Thu Oct 7 15:44:34 EDT 1999

Since Walt brings up various efforts based on punched cards...

The UCLA School of Library Service [may it rest in peace] was one of the first
to require a course, Data Processing in the Library, which was required as a
core course (along with reference, cataloging, and acquisitions).  Robert M.
Hayes, later dean of the school, taught it.  I think UCLA may have been
implementing some kind of automated system then (1966-67).

Has anyone search Library Literature or LISA for articles on library
automation?
--
Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at class.org
If this Nation is to be wise as well as strong, if we are to achieve our
destiny, then we need more new ideas for more wise men reading more good
books in more public libraries.  These libraries should be open to
all--except the censor.  We must know all the facts and hear all the
alternatives and listen to all the criticisms.  Let us welcome
controversial books and controversial authors.  For the Bill of Rights is
the guardian of our security as well as our liberty.
--John F. Kennedy.