Pay-as-you-go Internet service

Sue Kamm suekamm at class.org
Wed Oct 6 20:59:30 EDT 1999

This morning at our staff meeting we had a presentation from 2010 Global
Internet Providers.  They are marketing a pay-as-you-go Internet service.
They provide the equipment and connections.  Users may use cash, debit
cards, or credit cards to pay for their on-line time.

My director is looking at this product as a SUPPLEMENT to the "free"
access to the Internet we now provide.  (Users pay for printing.)
Currently, we have three public-access workstations in our adult section
and one in the children's room.

Has anyone else heard from this company or a similar one?  Are any public
libraries using pay-as-you-go workstations for all or part of Internet
service?  What do you think of this idea?

Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at class.org
If this Nation is to be wise as well as strong, if we are to achieve our
destiny, then we need more new ideas for more wise men reading more good
books in more public libraries.  These libraries should be open to
all--except the censor.  We must know all the facts and hear all the
alternatives and listen to all the criticisms.  Let us welcome
controversial books and controversial authors.  For the Bill of Rights is
the guardian of our security as well as our liberty.
--John F. Kennedy