[WEB4LIB] Updating plug-ins

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Oct 5 16:02:42 EDT 1999

At 07:34 AM 10/5/99 -0700, Barbara Brattin wrote:
>The plug-ins need to be downloaded on each individual machine, and our WinU
>security makes this labor-intensive. How have the rest of you dealt with
>this? Do you take a stand and provide only the top ten, or do you try to
>have every one available? How do you streamline downloading so the process
>is not so labor intensive? We are running an NT network, with Windows 95 on
>the desktop and  WinU security/ menuing software on public stations.
>Thanks!

At Boise State we don't have speakers on our web stations, and don't add
"plugins" in the usual sense.  However, we do link Acrobat, Word Viewer,
Excel Viewer, and Powerpoint Viewer, as they are needed to support either
remote journal articles or content put on web pages by faculty
members.  Fortunately, we haven't really had the demand for the "latest and
greatest" of viewers for various video formats, MP3, VR, and so
forth.  We'd tend to resist those unless we could be shown a curricular or
research need.

Of course students can, and do, go to computer labs to do many of the
things we don't support in the library.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165