Netscape in kiosk mode and timeout

Gary E.Masters gmasters at tamiu.edu
Tue Oct 5 10:50:36 EDT 1999

In order to restrict our OPAC workstations in our shelving areas, we have
set up Netscape to kiosk mode.  However, every time the program "times -
out" we loose it.  This has been going on for about a week now and I don't
fully understand all of the ins and outs of using kiosk mode.

Here is a paragraph from our Head of Public services, that may describe
what I am writing about:

As for the timeout (Anne's message), I'm stymied.  I see your point about
simultaneous users, Anne.  Gary, can we make kiosk mode work under these
circumstances?  We may have to abandon the idea and just let users surf the
web on the upper floors if they want to.  The "University Home" button on
the top of each screen lets them get to the TAMIU homepage anyway, which
gets them to our database page, etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  What do you do for OPAC access?

Thanks,

Gary E. Masters