Forcing active window in Win98?

Bob Duncan duncanr at mail.lafayette.edu
Mon Oct 18 14:09:51 EDT 1999

I just got a brand-new PC with Win98SE installed.  All is well but for one
minor annoyance:  when I double-click a hyperlink in my mail  client
(Eudora), the page loads in my browser (Netscape4.08), but the browser
window does not come to the front (as my Win95 PC did).  Instead, the
browser's button in the taskbar flashes, then eventually turns a different
color.  Similarly, if I follow a mailto link from Netscape, Eudora (which
is set to intercept Netscape Netscape mailtos) doesn't come to the front.
Again, just the flashing program button in the taskbar, although all which
is supposed to happen in Eudora---new message, etc.---is there once I go to
the program.  Same behavior is evident when trying to preview Web pages in
Netscape while in my HTML editor (Homesite).

Am I missing some setting in Win98, or is this a "feature"?  Is there a way
to force the background app to the foreground when a hyperlink is followed?
 (I tend to run all apps in maximized windows, if that matters, using
Windows classic style.)

Bob Duncan

  Robert E. Duncan
  Systems Librarian