A really techie question, but I'll try here first

Don Hamilton dhamilto at mach2.wlu.ca
Fri Oct 1 10:03:26 EDT 1999

Endeavor's windows OPAC recognizes URL's in the records it's displaying, and
launches NETSCAPE to go to the site if a user clicks on the link.

In the WINU desk that I run my public opac in, I disallow 3rd party
programs, but have netscape in the exceptions list. With this configuration,
I get an error message from the OPAC saying it was unable to launch its
helper app. If netscape is already running, then the link works.

If I 'allow 3rd party', I can't 'see' any program being run between the time
I click on the link  and when netscape starts, but it does start.

I have spoken to Endeavor developers and they say they are just using a
standard windows API (called fileexec??) to cause Windows to 'ececute' the
URL, which should just cause windows (win95/8) to launch the default
browser.

How do I find out what executables are being called between clicking on the
URL and Netscape starting? I've run wintop, and don't see anything start up.

What else can I try? Is there some windows executable I have to add to the
list? Is there a really techie windows developer out there, or a refernce to
one, that might be able to help me? Is there a good 'techie developer' list
I can ask at?

Thanks.

Don (I'm learning more about internals than I ever wanted too)
Hamilton(dhamilto at mach2.wlu.ca)
Information Technology & Cybrarian by Osmosis
Wilfrid Laurier University/Tri University Group
519-884-0710-x3336, fax 519-884-8023