[WEB4LIB] Linking to Amazon.com for Big Bucks

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Fri Oct 22 19:23:19 EDT 1999

I realize that we all operate under different laws in different
environments and even in different countries.  Also, the differences in
administrators and how they develop and interpret regulations can be
tremendous.

All that being said, what the heck is wrong with making some money for the
library?  A few examples follow.

Some libraries run coffee shops, often by contracting to an outside
business.  It makes the library money, and the outside business too.

We provide copy machines and other devices, which often make another
business money.  You had to choose brand X over brand Y somehow and let
them make money.

Libraries often sell their names.  Well, they don't call it that, they call
it "recognizing a major donor".  I work at the Albertsons
Library....because the Albertsons, Inc. (USA's second largest grocery
chain, founded and headquartered in Boise) gave us six million
dollars.  Almost every building on campus is named after some business or
individual who gave a few million bucks to help build it.  Many libraries
have named rooms or other spaces for the same reason.

Public spaces are often named for donors or renters of the name.  Many
public stadia are now named thus.  These are usually publicly owned buildings.

If 3Com can take over the name of Candlestick Park in San Francisco, why
shouldn't we earn some money too?

Tomorrow's football game here will have a sponsor.  Budweiser.  Coca
Cola.  The phone company.  Whoever.  Some company has paid a five figure
donation to the athletic department for their name to be featured on
programs, announced at the game, and so forth.  Advertising signs also are
visible in the stadium, just as there are in most others.  Why not?

Even if I provide a list of online bookstores, or of all bookstores in my
community, someone will still whine.  I may have missed one.  I may have
not covered a wide enough area.  I may get a complaint that one of the
bookstores "sells dirty books".

Many charitable organizations provide links to Amazon.com or other online
stores, thus receiving significant income.  Why is it not reasonable for a
library (a charitable organization if there ever was one) to do the same?

Time to head to the gym and push some iron around.  Y'all have a good weekend.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165