Updating plug-ins

George Porter george at library.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 12 11:35:15 EDT 1999

A concerted effort has been made locally to identify the file formats (html,
PDF, PostScript, TeX, RealPage, vrml, mpeg, tiff, RasMol, etc) employed by
all of the cataloged online journals at Caltech.  From the list of file
formats, we identified the requisite software necessary to display, render,
view the content which we had implicitly recommended to the campus
community.  The plug-ins and helper applications are installed AND
configured on all of the public workstations in the library system.  The
result is an environment where people come into the library to view/sample
online journals before making the resource investment to configure the
workstations in their offices and labs.

Plug-ins include:

IBM techexplorer
Shockwave Flash
StreamWorks Player
QuickTime Plug-In
RealPlayer G2
Adobe Acrobat
Cosmo Player
Chemscape Chime
LiveAudio

IUPUI has gone the extra mile. They've posted a policy on the deployment of
plug-ins <http://andretti.iupui.edu/toolbox/scholarplug.html> with links to
a list of installed plug-ins and a request form for new plug-ins.

George S. Porter
Sherman Fairchild Library of Engineering & Applied Science
California Institute of Technology
Mail Code 1-43, Pasadena, CA  91125
Telephone (626) 395-3409 Fax (626) 431-2681