Ask-A Services

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sat Nov 27 08:23:05 EST 1999

Do you offer reference services by email (also known as "ask-a" services, as
in "ask a librarian")?  I'd like to hear from you for an upcoming column in
American Libraries.  Any input is welcome, but I'm particularly interested
in knowing--

* How did you resolve staffing issues (who answers the questions, how are
the accounts set up, what is your turn-around time on questions)?
* Did you provide staff with special training in email reference?
* How many questions do you get every month?  Is it increasing?  What did
you do to publicize the service?
* How do you think you compare with commercial "ask-a" services?  What do
your patrons get from your service that they don't get anywhere else?
* When did you start offering the services?

Real examples from the field are particularly welcome.  Please contact me
directly at kgs at bluehighways.com , and don't forget your name, organization,
city and state.  Thanks!

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Assistant Director of Technology
Shenendehowa Public Library, Clifton Park, NY
http://www.shenpublib.org