[WEB4LIB] Re: A lesson to be learnt from the Britannica site?

Mark Gooch Mark.Gooch at law.csuohio.edu
Wed Nov 24 13:37:52 EST 1999

Actually registering all of these domains might be wise for other reasons.  Not
only do you get the domain name but you also get any e-mail which goes along
with those variants.  Check out the story about e-mail piracy:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/332974.asp

Mark

Michael Sauers wrote:

> > >However, I'm not sure this is good... Could not an argument be made that
> > >registering "CompanyNameSucks" (especially 200 versions thereof)
> > is stifling free speech?
> >
> > I don't think so.
>
> Yes, but I had better never see GWB (if elected president) sign any sort of
> anti-cybersquating bills. Come on, 200 domains. I just believe that someone
> willing to go to that length is way to insecure to be president. There is no
> legitimate reason to do this other than to stifle potential criticism.
>
> The case of registering one or two other domains may be a different story.
> And actually, I think that since it took me so long to get the spelling of
> Britannica down that maybe they did register the misspellings more to make
> sure people got to where they wanted to go, not just to avoid porn or
> anti-Britannica sites.

> Michael Sauers, Internet Trainer
> Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
> Aurora, CO :: msauers at bcr.org :: http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
> The WWW Library Directory is @ http://www.webpan.com/msauers/libdir/
> Buy books, music or videos online? http://www.dealpilot.com/?partner=1307
>
> Child: Do not try to bend the spoon, that is impossible.
>        Just realize the truth.
> Neo:   What is the truth?
> Child: There is no spoon.       -- The Matrix
>
> Opinions expressed are my own unless otherwise noted.

Mark D. Gooch                    Cleveland State University
Electronic Services Librarian    1801 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland-Marshall Law Library   Cleveland, Ohio  44115
(216)687-5579  Voice             (216)687-5098  Fax
             Mark.Gooch at law.csuohio.edu
          http://www.law.csuohio.edu/lawlibrary/

"I guess we still have some bugs to work out,"
 --Bill Gates at Comdex 98 in Chicago as Windows98 crashed on him