[WEB4LIB] Re: Is Netscape dead? I asked Jeeves

Vicki Falkland library at cryptic.rch.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Nov 22 18:50:27 EST 1999

>I don't use Ovid, but.....  is it a MS problem, or an Ovid problem?  It may
>be that Ovid is passing the buck because their system isn't doing things in
>a standard way.

This is NOT an Ovid problem. It is a default setting in Explorer.
The solution (posted on another list, and pasted below for those
interested) is too tiresome for most computer users in our library (and
would also require by-passing some security measures), so we stick to what
we know works and what we and our users know best - Netscape.
We have no intention of ever changing over to IE, so I guess we will be
amongst the rebellious crowd who will always support Netscape.
Incidentally, I have to mention that the repeated bemoaning of the
"interminable" wait for Netscape to open up totally confuses me. I have
both browsers, and I can barely see a difference unless you want to measure
it in nanoseconds. One person (don't remember who) cited this
"interminable" wait as one reason for changing over a whole library's
computers from Netscape to IE. Wow. I have more important things to worry
about and to do with my time than care whether my user has to wait 2
seconds longer for their browser to open.

All flames to not_here at hotmail.com  :)

Vicki

*snip*

>Back on July 28, 1999 Ovid Tech Support sent this out over this very same
>list:
>
>Recently, there have been some postings to this listserv regarding
>difficulties saving citations while using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0.
>In these cases, when users click on the "Save" button in the Citation
>Manager, instead of receiving the standard dialog box, their citations
>display in a browser window without the proper formatting.
>
>This behavior can occur because users have cleared the "Always ask before
>opening this type of file" check box in the "Save As" dialog box. If the
>checkbox is unchecked, the setting "sticks" and IE will always use the
>option that has been selected, whether it is Open or Save. If Open was
>selected, all files of the same MIME type are automatically placed in the
>Temporary Internet Files folder and opened by the program associated with
>the file type (or in the browser itself, though sometimes without the
>proper formatting).
>
>In order to save citations in their correct format, users must:
>
>1) follow the usual procedure to select the citations they want to save;
>
>2) click on the "Save" button;
>
>3) when the unformatted citations appear in the new browser window, choose
>"View" from Internet Explorer's menu bar and then select "Source" from the
>pull-down menu;
>
>4) a Notepad window will then open containing the formatted text of their
>citations -- choose "File" from Notepad's menu bar and then select "Save
>As" from the pull-down menu;
>
>5) follow the usual procedure to save the new file;
>
>6) close Notepad; and
>
>7) use Internet Explorer's "Back" button to return to their search session.

*snip*

J.W. Grieve Library
Royal Children's Hospital
Flemington Rd