[WEB4LIB] Centering Web Page

Floyd Ingram Ingramf at benedict.edu
Fri Nov 19 17:04:13 EST 1999

Frankly, I think that Frontpage 2000 is one of the best web management programs.  I use it for my site.  What I have found that the webpages do not look good on display monitors of PC loaded with OLD VERSION of web browsers.  I indicate on my website that my webpages are viewed best using at least version 4 of MS Internet Explorer or Netscape (specifically, 4.08 of Netscape).  Check the monitors, too.  We have monitors in our Electronic Reference Center with different displays of the same webpage (different alignment, different colors, image sizes, etc. than what is programmed in the html document).

*******************************
MSC 25
Floyd Ingram
Director of Library Services
Benedict College
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204-1086
Voice: (803) 253-5182
Fax: (803) 540-2528
E-mail: <mailto:fingram at mindspring.com>
Homepage: <http://fingram.home.mindspring.com>

>>> "Matthew Burrell" <mburrell at nwrls.lib.fl.us> 11/17/99 03:31PM >>>
I'm sure some of you have given this good thought, but nothing was found in the archive...

My library site, written with FrontPage 2000, (yuk), is designed for a 640 x 480 monitor. When I look at the page on monitors that have a 1024 x 768, or 1280 x 1024 screen size, some of the page defaults to the left side of the screen, and looks bad. How can I correct this problem, i.e. center the page? Should I put everything into a big centered table? If I specify pixel size in my tables, some of the parts of the page (that aren't in tables), carry over to the right side, while the table components are centered. Take a look at our page, then add index2.html to see what it looks like with table pixel size additions, (for those of you who use something other than a 640 display).

Any ideas will be appreciated.
You guys are great. I love this list. TIA!