[WEB4LIB] Re: Is Netscape dead? I asked Jeeves

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Fri Nov 19 13:49:13 EST 1999

At 11:17 AM 11/18/99 -0800, Valerie Lawrence wrote:
>One reason I'm not ditching NS is that IE5 doesn't behave properly when
>I'm trying to download a search in Ovid.  Instead of a popup window asking
>where I want to save the file, when I try to select a search to download,
>I get a screen with all the text running together.  My option is to copy
>and paste from this??? No thank you.  Ovid says Micro$oft "knows it's a
>problem" but the Ovid rep said they didn't sound like they planned to fix
>it.

I don't use Ovid, but.....  is it a MS problem, or an Ovid problem?  It may
be that Ovid is passing the buck because their system isn't doing things in
a standard way.

Again, not trying to start a war....and have never used Ovid.....but have
had many tech support folks tell me all sorts of BS about "not our problem"
when it really is their problem.  Just got one resolved with a major
database provider earlier this week....when five different tech support
folks at two different levels had told me that they couldn't authenticate
all of our domain except for one specific IP number.  After a couple of
months of off and on hassling them, finally found the guy who knew how to
do it correctly.   (And if I know how to do it on my web server, which I
do, it seemed reasonably likely that they could do it too.)

cheers

dan, still old, still cynical

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165