[WEB4LIB] Is Netscape dead? I asked Jeeves

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Thu Nov 18 12:33:12 EST 1999

>But, seriously, are most others in agreement with Dan Lester's post
>(portions below) and is there really no other choice but IE?  I for one am

Content may be king, but Context is queen.  In the Context of my particular
work environment: an academic public university in Northern Lousiana,
Netscape browser is the overwhelming choice of browser.  That is what
accesses our library website the most, around 77% - 80%.  We have a lot of
folk here entrenched with Netscape and are not giving it up any time
soon.  Even most of the student population is accessing the website via
Netscape.  I also have our WinU and IKIOSK set up to work with Netscape,
and I just don't have the time at all to change over to IE (I am the entire
Systems Department, with regular desktop support, install of new equipment,
and upgrading and maintaining the webpage, plus reference desk duty, it's
all I can do at times to keep my head above water).  IE is faster in some
instances, and NN is faster in other instances, so I don't see a need to
change at this point.

Now YMMV (since context is queen), and you may be in a context, or
environment, that has more IE users for this or that reason(s).  In such a
case, yes IE is really the only choice.

TTFN,
David
Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
Javascript list administrator <www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/>
Merchant's Encyclopedia of HTML <www.mountaindragon.com/html/>
Personal Page <www.mountaindragon.com/merchant/>