[WEB4LIB] Re: Google (was: Re: Even stranger AltaVista result)

hodgsa at cma.ca hodgsa at cma.ca
Wed Nov 17 09:30:01 EST 1999

I'm with Peter: Google is fine for some things (its display of relevant
"excerpts" is nice) but like everything else, it is not the "end all" source.
I know of a colleague who is sworn off Google because after a test search for
current event information using "Bill Clinton", got porn sites as a result. We
all know why, of course, but the point is linking popularity does not solve
the problem of garbage. Different tools for different problems...

Actually, as an aside, I find Google to be interesting from a "next
generation" citation index score point-of-view.  What say you??

Andrea Hodgson
Canadian Medical Association