[WEB4LIB] Re: Even stranger AltaVista result

Tara Calishain calumet at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 17 10:05:42 EST 1999

>One more question - how does AltaVista decide which language?
>Is there some sort of automatic analysis and comparison to
>frequently used words on the site from some sort of word list?
>This was asked from one of the participants - at the time I just
>wanted to step down and laugh hysterically.

I asked AltaVista this last April. Bear in mind that they might have changed
their method, but last April they said that when their spiders index a page, it
sets a language tag on it as soon as it encounters a sufficient number of words
in a given language.

Tara

Finding you great Internet research resources--
free weekly newsletter!
http://www.researchbuzz.com