digital camcorders

Leo Robert Klein leo_klein at baruch.cuny.edu
Fri Nov 12 15:02:48 EST 1999

On Tue, 09 Nov 1999, Ward Price wrote:

We've gone with the Sony TRV-900 because having used it in other
circumstances, I felt it was robust enough.  I think the important thing is
a question of formats--i.e. what it records in--and what the CCD(s) can
pick up as far as pixels are concerned.  For formats, I'd go with mini-DV
no question.  This is the highest quality format at a price that's likely
to fall into our hands.  I think the Vistura does this.

I'd compare then pixels--not all cameras are the same--and how good it is
in low light situations.  Also, these things are strewn with
auto-everything and in certain cases, it's very important to be able to
turn them off and go manually.

Equally as important as the camera, be sure to reserve a couple bucks for a
mike.  Often the only difference between a "pro" and, shall we say, a home
movie is the quality of the sound.  The rule goes: the closer you are to
the voice of the person you're filming the better.  For that reason, an
internal mike which picks up the entire universe of sound--much of which
you won't want--just can't hack it.  A lot of people use a shot-gun mike
where you can direct the reception.

Also, a tripod is nice since it's very hard to hold these little babies
steady and shaky footage might make your viewers sea-sick.

As far as digitization is concerned, you can use Real G2 or Windows Media
Player or Quicktime.  Personally, I'm looking into Quicktime because it's
cross-platform, because it can handle a slew of formats--not just
video--and because the server dishing out the streams is free--which is
kind of like what our budget can take.  Real G2 is free up to 25
connections then it gets pricey.  I think Windows Media (formerly known as
NetShow) is free but it doesn't have a very long track record--or, until
its latest manifestation, a very good one.

You also might want to have a look at DV Magazine.  They generally run a
lot of articles on all these things.  Have a look at the past
issues--particularly in the last couple of months.  It's interest stuff.

LEO

>I couldn't find this in a quick search of the archives.  We are looking for
>a digital camcorder. We want to use the camera to record a tour of the
>library as well as an online tutorial to be put on our Webpage. There is an
>issue of cost and we don't have a lot of funds, maybe $1,000, give or take.
>
>Looking at reviews, the Canon vistura has come up alot. Does anyone have
>any experience with this or other digital camcorders? Any advice/opinions?
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Ward Price

Leo Robert Klein                     17 Lexington Ave, Box H0520
Web Coordinator &                    New York, NY. 10010
Digital Resources Developer          tel: (212) 802-2373
Newman Library/Baruch College        fax: (212) 802-2360
http://newman.baruch.cuny.edu        email: Leo_Klein at baruch.cuny.edu