[WEB4LIB] Book Jacket Images for Library Web Pages

Gary E. Masters gmasters at tamiu.edu
Fri Nov 12 10:27:44 EST 1999

At 07:16 AM 11/12/1999 -0800, Barbara Brattin wrote:
>Just a general warning to the library webmaster community about using
>images of book jackets from Amazon.com or publishers' web sites for readers
>advisory pages. We decided to pursue copyright permissions to use these
>images on our "Book of the Month" section we are designing for our new web
>site. In a scathing reply, both on paper and via telephone, Simon and
>Schuster denied us permission. I had initially contacted Amazon.com for
>permission to use the images from their site. They informed me that they
>have a full-time staff that secures these individual permissions. The same
>permission was denied to me by S&S because, simply stated, libraries do not
>sell books. When I mentioned that we do have influence over people's
>choices I was ridiculed.
>I never expected to be denied permission. I expected the publishing world
>to be grateful that we would promote their products. After much
>negotiation, S&S is going to make "an exception" for this library and
>consider permission for individual titles. In other words, I will have to
>cite title by title which books I will be highlighting and the dates the
>images will appear on my page. S&S will consider these requests on a case
>by case basis. By the way, this applies to anything in print as well, so
>when we promote a book discussion and want to create posters that show the
>book jacket, we need to have permission.
>I know that many libraries freely use these images already on their web
>pages, and when questioned about copyright infringement, laugh it off.  Be
>careful.
>For those of you who have gone through this painful permissions seeking
>process, I'd like to hear about your experiences. Does fair use come into
>play here? We aren't selling anything- why can't we use the images?
>We are in the process of migrating to a web catalog written in HTML. It was
>my dream to add book jacket images to jazz up the copies availablity pages.
>Needless to say, I'm frustrated, and after talking with Simon and Schuster,
>I'm insulted.

Barbara:

It seems that the lawyers got hold of your request.  Alas.
Perhaps there is a good reason for their reaction, but I don't see it. We
have a new scanner in Acquisitions and would like to do the same for our
web page.  But with a limited staff and a lot to do, why bother?  I guess
saying "no good deed goes unpunished" is a real world conclusion.

Regards,

Gary Masters
Gary E. Masters
Automated Services Librarian