[WEB4LIB] Re: Subject: Re: In re includes

Darryl Friesen Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
Mon Nov 8 10:15:35 EST 1999

> I hope that no site demands the typing of file names.
> I hope that no page demands access by typing and not by clicking from
another
> "default" page.
>
> What's HyperText invented for ? Typing file names ?

So you've never manually typed a URL?

> A domain name and a directory is enough.

In some cases sure.  If I'm an Education student and want to look at my
Library's Education resources page, I could start at the top, or I could
just type in http://library.usask.ca/subejcts/educ.html

If the developers in charge decide to start using SSI and change the file
name to educ.shtml it stops working for those people who either type it in
by hand or have a shortcut.  Sure, it's not hard to just drop the filename
and get the main subject listing, then pick Education, but judging from the
amount of mail I get from people stating that some .htm or .shtml file
doesn't exist, people DON'T try that.

> If a page is not "naturally" accessed through an obvious sequence of
> links (and some alternative ones), well, back to the drawing board.

That was the point I was trying to make.  Use .html everywhere with some
other mechanism for determining SSI.  Or as Roy says, if you have a decent
server, just enable it for all .html and don't worry about it anymore.

- Darryl

  Darryl Friesen, B.Sc.                        Darryl.Friesen at usask.ca
  Programmer/Analyst                            http://gollum.usask.ca/
  Consulting & Development, Computing Services
  University of Saskatchewan                   "The Truth Is Out There"