Campus Pipeline

Jeff Barry jeffreybarry at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 10:57:17 EST 1999

I'm wondering if any other libraries, particularly academic ones, have
experiences at their institutions with Campus Pipeline. For those of you not
familiar with this, Campus Pipeline is an attempt to create an Internet
portal for colleges and universities. According to the company's web site
(http://www.campuspipeline.com) "Campus Pipeline is designed to be the
framework for all other applications at the institution."

Our computing center feels that Campus Pipeline should be the interface to
all electronic information accessed by students and faculty and the company
has told them that there are 500 institutions going to use this product. So,
I figured that someone on this list must have had some experience with it.

One of the 'features' of Campus Pipeline is that it has a link on its
navigation bar labeled "The Research Center" that points to a list of
Internet resources. This link is hardcoded and cannot be changed locally.
While a link also can be made from Campus Pipeline to the library's web
site, the library's page (and any resource selected from it) remains in a
frame in which Campus Pipeline displays advertising. The advertising revenue
is evidently why the product is available at a low cost to higher education
institutions.

My computing center is saying that Campus Pipeline was developed in
coordination with librarians. Since I've not heard of this before,  I'm just
trying to find out if there are any librarians who have experience with this
product and your comments on it.

thanks,

jeff