Help needed on long distance charges problem

Jeanne Heicher nppublib at pa.net
Tue Nov 9 11:07:21 EST 1999

Dear WEB4LIBers,

We have 4 public Internet computers, secured by Deep Freeze, which
allows free access to all programs on local drives. We have Netscape
Communicator 4.x, IE, and MS Office Pro installed on all of them. Our
Internet connection is via dual ISDN lines to our ISP, through a
dial-on-demand router setup.  There are no modums in the computers.

Things were going great, until we got a message the other day that our
B channel ISDN line had been suspended, because there was a bill of
hundreds of dollars (after having a bill of $6/month for months). We
are waiting for the phone company to send us an itemized list of the
alleged calls, which were unavailable at the time of our initial call
to the phone company (to find out what was going on).

My question is: Is there any possible way to call out or fax out from
a computer that is configured like ours (no modum)? Could the public
be making calls which would account for the billing amounts? These
calls would have to be out of our area code.

I am hoping some of you with more experience can help us figure out if
the problem is coming from the public computers, or from elsewhere.

			Thanks VERY MUCH,
			Jeanne Heicher
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Newport Public Library                  Hours:
316 N. 4th St.  Newport PA 17074        Mon.& Wed 1-8PM
(717)567-6860  FAX(717)567-3373         Tues.& Thurs. 10AM-5PM
http://www.pa.net/nppublib              Fri. 1-5PM
                                        Sat. 10-noon
Thank you for supporting your community library.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx