[WEB4LIB] Re: AOL browser question

Cynthia Peterson cpeterson at mail.bluefield.edu
Tue Nov 9 10:47:51 EST 1999

> One other thing to note: AOL 5 has caused lots of problems for users. Before

Because I do the web pages for the library I keep a copy of AOL so I can make sure
I know what things look like with their browser (that's how I discovered my applet
pulldown menus show up as lovely gray boxes and that I needed a second version of
our web pages for the more traditional hyperlinks).

I had installed AOL 5.0 right after it came out.  Within a few weeks it caused
some problems so reinstalled and it worked fine again.  Recently it caused a
problem where it freezes up the entire computer -- to the extent I  have to pull
the plug and let the computer go through scandisk.  Tried reinstalling and it
still does it.  This is one of the problems with the software.  If you haven't
used 5.0 yet I'd stay safe and keep whatever version you're using.  If I reinstall
I may I'll use 4.0 -- heaven knows there are enough disks floating around!

Cynthia L. Peterson, Director of Library Services
Easley Library, Bluefield College
3000 College Drive
Bluefield, VA 24605

540-326-4237: Voice